The supervisa is a good option for those who cannot sponsor their parents and grandparent but wants to bring them to Canada temporarily.

What is a Canadian Supervisa?

A Canadian Supervisa is an immigration status that allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit Canada for up to two years at a time. It is an alternative to sponsoring parents and grandparents through the Canadian immigration system. There are no limits on how many times parents and grandparents can visit Canada with a Canadian supervisa. Supervisa may be issued for ten years. 

It has some conditions: Supervisa holders have to plan to leave Canada at the end of their visit. They must meet certain health and security requirements, including a criminal record check. They cannot study or work while in Canada.

Supervisa is not to be confused with a multiple entry visa which is a temporary resident visa issued by the Canadian government. A multiple entry visa does not allow you to reside in Canada.


It is created by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) in order to provide an alternative option for parents and grandparents who cannot be sponsored through the immigration process under Family Class Category.

This program was created for the following reasons:

  • It streamlines the application process, as it requires only a single application form, in contrast to multiple forms required by regular sponsorship.
  • Less time is required from an applicant applying for supervisa in contrast to regular sponsorship.
  • The supervisa is also a less expensive, faster option than the Canadian sponsorship process.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • You are at least 19 years old (or older).
  • You must obtain medical insurance for parents and grandparents who are visiting Canada worth at least $100,000.  There must be enough coverage to cover the duration of their visit.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) must show proof that you have enough money for supporting your parents/grandparents and yourself in Canada every year they are here, which includes all expenses for food, housing, and transportation.
  • You must sign an undertaking stating that your parents/ grandparents will leave Canada when their supervisa expires.

Can I apply for Supervisa within Canada?

No. You have to apply for supervisa outside of Canada. However, in many cases, IRCC allows supervisa extension if your parents cannot return home at the end of the two-year period.

Requirements for Supervisa Extension:

  • Your parents or grandparents must prove that it is not possible for them to return to their country.
  • They must have additional documents, such as medical reports, photos and police clearance certificates showing you they are still residing in your home.
  • Your parents or grandparents must keep having their own medical insurance while they are in Canada.

How much money do I need to be eligible?

Size of Family UnitMinimum necessary gross income
1 person (your child or grandchild)$25,921
2 persons$32,270
3 persons$39,672
4 persons$48,167
5 persons$54,630
6 persons$61,613
7 persons$68,598
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add$6,985

Bring your parents here with Shaun Immigration

Do you want to bring your parents but cannot sponsor them yet? Let our immigration consultant help you. Supervisa is a great alternative to sponsoring parents/grandparents It is simpler, faster, less costly than regular sponsorship, and allows multiple visits! What are you waiting for? Shot us an email!